Friday, February 23, 2007

Update on ProVention Global Forum, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Feb07 , by Taye Yadessa, World Vision Ethiopia and representing ECB

The pro vention forum and Dar es Salaam

 By Taye Yadessa

Dar es Salaam of Tanzania was the city chosen to host the 3rd round global workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction. I was very ebullient to be participating in this forum held on February 13 - 15, 2007.

The weather, I found it to be hotter than Addis Ababa, and as I was looking around I remember saying to myself this must be the hallmark of nature - a place to enjoy life from a whole new different angle.

As the workshop was underway I was overwhelmed to realize and look in depth at the death toll of disasters from different hazards, putting precious human lives and livelihoods in devastations. In retrospect and to revitalize the current on going tendencies, however, the workshop gave me insight on how to get over the ghastly nature of disasters by giving alternative adept mechanisms so that humanitarian emergency affairs and risk management are indispensable ...confronting face to face with risks.    

At the end of the workshop I was able to say to myself that my expectation has been met. From the workshop I drew a sense that "any crisis would come out with opportunity" if it is tackled with techniques, skills and/or ideas that take local contexts into consideration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home